MEETING INFO & REGISTRATION FORM
(please register and reserve hotel rooms by 11/8)
Education Deans for Justice and Equity (EDJE) Meeting
8-10 December 2017
All members of EDJE (http://www.educationdeans.org) are invited to our next general meeting, scheduled for December 8-10, 2017, on the campus of Trinity Washington University in Washington, DC. Thanks to Dean Janet Stocks for hosting us!
WHO IS COMING? Thus far the following EDJE members have registered, and this list will be updated as the date approaches:
- Rene Antrop-Gonzalez, Dean, Metropolitan State University
- Tom Cornell, Incoming Interim Dean, Webster University
- Michael Dantley, Dean, Miami University of Ohio
- Brenda Fyfe, Dean, Webster University
- Margaret Grogan, Dean, Chapman University
- Bob Hannafin, Dean, Fairfield University
- John Henning, Dean, Monmouth University
- Cheryl Holcomb-McCoy, Dean, American University
- Rodney Hopson, Associate Dean (representing the dean), George Mason University
- Nickolas Jordan, Associate Dean (representing the dean), Appalachian State University
- Peter Kelly, Dean, University of Mary Washington
- Kevin Kumashiro, Former Dean, University of San Francisco
- Tamara Lucas, Dean, Montclair State University
- Nick Michelli, Former Dean, CUNY
- Michael Middleton, Dean, Hunter College - CUNY
- Jennifer Mueller, Dean, St. Cloud State University
- Natalie Person, Chair, Rhodes College
- Don Pope-Davis, Dean, New Mexico State University
- Deanna Sands, Dean, Seattle University
- Kathy Schultz, Dean, University of Colorado Boulder
- Katharine Shepherd, Associate Dean (representing the dean), University of Vermont
- Timothy Slekar, Dean, Edgewood College
- Janet Stocks, Dean, Trinity Washington University
- Cindy Walker, Dean, Duquesne University
12/8 5:00pm-8:30pm: OPTIONAL: WORKING WITH THE MEDIA (dinner included)
For our own professional development we offer a roundtable discussion on strategies for contacting the media, facilitated by Tim Slekar, followed by a dinner discussion on writing for the media, facilitated by Education Week commentary editor Elizabeth Rich.
12/9 9:00am-5:00pm: DEVELOPING OUR NEXT COLLECTIVE ACTION (breakfast/lunch included)
We will be joined in the afternoon by Miriam Rollin, executive director of the new Education Civil Rights Alliance, a network of national organizations that work to protect the civil rights of students.
12/10 9:00am-12:00pm: SHARING INITIATIVES AND STRATEGIES (breakfast included)
We conclude the meeting with time to discuss some of the bigger questions that we grapple with in trying to lead toward social justice, as well as some of what's happening on our campuses, innovative initiatives, and lessons learned.
12/10 12:00pm-2:00pm: EDJE STEERING COMMITTEE closed meeting
REGISTRATION BY 11/8: Registration includes access to all sessions and four meals. Please register by 11/8 so that we can ensure adequate space and food. (Scroll to the bottom of this page to register.)
- Regular Registration Rate: $200.
- Discounted Registration Rate: $100 (Individuals with limited financial resources may select this rate, which entails the same experience but at a lower cost.)
TRAVEL AND HOTEL: Participants are responsible for their own transportation and lodging. For those flying in: the DC National / Reagan Airport (DCA) is about 20 minutes away, and the Dulles (IAD) and Baltimore (BWI) airports are about 45 minutes away. We have arranged a group room block with a discounted rate of $109/night at a hotel right next to the NOMA stop on the Red Line of the Metro, which is two stops from the campus (please make reservations by Nov 8th):
Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol
1225 First St. NE, Washington DC 20002
You can make your reservations in our room block via this website: https://secure3.hilton.com/en_US/gi/reservation/book.htm?inputModule=HOTEL&ctyhocn=DCANMGI&spec_plan=TWU&arrival=20171208&departure=20171210&cid=OM,WW,HILTONLINK,EN,DirectLink&fromId=HILTONLINKDIRECT
Or you can make your reservations by calling 877-782-9444 and referencing "Trinity University and EDJE"
Please make your reservations by Nov 8th in order to get this reduced group rate.